Saturday 1 December 2012

Happy Days...

A couple of weeks later and I've still got more to write about. Guess we're getting into that busy time.

Firstly, Ms. Alina Grace. On Wednesday, 7th November, Tereora College had their senior prize giving awards. These are prizes that are given to top students in sports, academics, arts and services for years 11,12, and 13. Alina's Cook Island academic record really started in February of this year as she started so late last year. She was awarded 1st prize in year 12 art. All of us who know Alina, know she's got a strong interest and love of drawing but year 12 Art was so much more than that.  She had to submit a portfolio of paintings and she hadn't done any painting since she was 11 years old and in grade 6. It was quite the achievement. Alina reckons she was awarded 1st not because she was the best artist, but because she attended classes regularly and worked very hard. She was also awarded a certificate for placing 3rd in Media Studies and tying for 3rd in Computers, both of which are year 13 courses. She has 3 exams to write before the end of the month and then in January we will get her results. Provided she is awarded all her credits, she will have her University Entrance qualifications, (which would be like grade 12). Ina and I are so proud of how well she's done. I told Alina that seeing her up on the stage made all the fighting and yelling at home so worth while. I am so fortunate to have this beautiful, intelligent and talented young woman as my daughter.





Alina and Patricia "Patty" Taea  
       Moving on to Mr. T. He too is having quite the year. The National Maths Competition was held on the 24th October at the National Auditorium. Tere was a member of the second year 9 team from Tereora College. The teams of 4 have 20 minutes to answer  20 questions with nothing but pencil and paper. Tere's team started very strongly and then stalled on a question. They ended up placing 5th out of 12 teams. This is the second year that Tere has participated in the competition. He also won the year 9 Speech competition at Tereora.  This is amazing as he is the one who spent a summer in speech therapy camp and a year in speech therapy.  Tere's most remarkable achievement this year is being an active member of a sports team. He is on the Under-19's National Development Cricket team. They have practice most lunch hours at school and play every Saturday in the men's division. Their coach, Alistair, has been chosen as a member of of the C.I. National Cricket team. I don't  think they've actually won any games but they get out there and have a go. Tere's co-ordination has improved greatly and in turn, that has boosted his self confidence. Their coach had an impromptu BBQ after one of their games and when Tere eventually made it home, he was just buzzing. He reckoned that it was his best night ever and it's great to hang out with a bunch of guys who share similar interests. I am so happy for him that he has that "testosterone" time as I know it hasn't been easy living as the only male with his mum and 2 sisters. It makes Ina's and Connor's trips home this December even more special for Tere. Finally, he's no longer out numbered!! Tere is slowly coming out of his shell, is walking taller and with much more self assurance. Who would have thought that cricket would do so much?  He was actually presented with a team jersey from Titikaveka Titans as someone who's overcome being bullied. I am doubly blessed to have Teremataiapo as my son as he quietly goes about surprising us with his accomplishments.



The Team from left to right (by nickname); Tony, The Muscle, Leather, (The 3 after Leather dropped out), then Baby Tank, Sailor, and the Captain.
Alistair, The Muscle, and our one-time fielder Stretch.
Morganne attends Arorangi Primary School which is located near a beach. Earlier this year, it was determined that the passage through the reef would be broadened, a jetty would be built as well as an area for market stalls to be set up. The reason behind this was it would create a secondary location for cruise sips to anchor and ferry passengers ashore. Morganne was not too enamoured of the idea of tourist activity around her school. Friday, 2nd of November was the official opening of the jetty. As part of the student body, Morganne was asked to bring an ei (or lei) and a coconut. I asked a co-worker to make the ei and paid for a bag of flowers. I also bought a coconut, which was a nu, or a drinking coconut. This was the wrong kind of coconut as they wanted coconuts for eating. It did get used to help quench the thirst of the boys who were busy husking coconuts. Morganne was also a part of the pe'e, welcoming item, performed by the students of Arorangi school. The community of Arorangi got together and put on a massive feast. After the 'official' part was completed and the jetty declared open, the kids hit the water. There were food stalls set up for that night and Morganne and I went down to get some dinner and so she could show me the jetty. Since the opening, 10 days ago, Morganne has been at the jetty 8 times. We call her the jetty girl. She loves the jetty. It's the best thing ever and now she's got her "jetty" friends and is quite active. She has also taken Tere and Alina to the jetty and they too have fallen under the spell of "The Jetty." It's especially great now that the days are getting hotter and more humid. 
There is a bit of current, but at the moment, it's nothing like the current in the Cowichan River. All three are competent swimmers and sensible enough that I'm not too worried about them being down there. 
Morganne also competed in the National Maths Competition. Her team was the highest placed team from Arorangi school, but they placed about midway in a field of 16.  Having the liveliness, the spontaneous affection and just having the "Morganneness" around makes me truly blessed.




          I'm also blessed with Connor. He is a young man who's moved back into Edmonton, found himself a job and an apprenticeship, and set himself up in his own place. He's got a plan and is moving towards the goals he's set himself. What more could a mum want for her son?!! We are so looking forward to Christmas, I know he's going to wind us all up and stir things up but surprisingly, I think we've missed that. 


          Ina arrived home yesterday, fantastic! We'll have some time to get ourselves sorted before Connor arrives. Here's what he had to say about what's he's been up to. 

Well, I flew back into Raro yesterday and its great to be home!  Spent a few months working up in Canada at Kearl Lake project.  No big news there, just work.  Finished up work in mid Nov then made a side trip to Vancouver Island to see my Parent-in-laws and one of my best mates Dave Shaw who is recovering from a stroke.  We were all really worried when it happened but you wouldn't know to look at him now, thats for sure.  It was great seeing him and his family again.
Dave Shaw & I
After that I went down to New Zealand to challenge the NZ Electrical Regulations exam and do a Practical Assessment.  I need to do this so I can become a registered electrician in New Zealand.  It was a one week short course to prep for the exam followed by a week long practical assessment.  Some parts were a little intense as there was a lot of material to get through.  The good news is I was signed off on the practical assessment.   I feel I did everything I think I needed to do, to achieve the result I want so now it's a waiting game to see what my exam results will be. I stayed with my sister Naama in Otara and as always, it was good catching up with family.  Anyways, it was finish up the Practical Assessment by Friday noon and catch a plane the next morning.

We came in from the east side towards Black Rock... Ikurangi & Maungatea there to greet me and the flame trees are in bloom so its coming into Christmas time again.  The end of spring is upon us so all the colours of Summer are here.  It was good to see my family waiting for me with an 'ei for me (handmade by Temaeu).
On the day I get home, I always go to see my brother Atirai and lay the 'ei there  While we were on the way there, Dad flew overhead... every time I return or leave, he has been there.

Always good to be back in the Ipukarea again...



Temaeu again and my final little blurb is about a tree that grows in our neighbour's yard. A lot of its' branches overhang the separating fence and there would be much muttering from everyone as we'd rake all the leaves it drops. We are feeling much less negative towards it as we found out it's a lychee tree. We have never had lychees before, I just thought of  them as canned "Asian" fruit. They are da BOMB!!! Morganne and Alina have made themselves very popular by taking ice-cream buckets of lychees to school. They are our new favourite fruit. It looks like once they're done, the mangos in the tree next to it will be ready, (and yet more bananas.) At least we don't have to worry about buying any fruit at the moment.


Well, I wasn't expecting this to be quite so long but maybe it will make up for the sparseness of entries for the past few months.

Ka kite ano.          


2 comments: